Forest Township at a glance:
Forest Township is in the heart of the Minnesota lakes country near Itasca State Park and Park Rapids, MN.
Two largest lakes: Bad Medicine & Big Basswood
Other Lakes: Bass, Equay, Gardner, Kneebone, Little Basswood, Mallard, Missouri, Sockeye & Wahbegon
Total Area: 36 sq. miles; 32.4 sq. miles of land & 3.6 sq. miles of water
Population: 79 residents
news and information
2020 public notice of election filings
Notice is Hereby Given to the residents of Forest Township that the annual filing for election of officers opens July 28, 2020 and continues through August 11, 2020.
The following positions are to be filled at the election on November 3, 2020.
- A Township Supervisor - 4 Year Term
- B Township Supervisor - 4 Year Term
- Township Treasurer - 4 Year Term
If you wish to file for candidacy, please file with the township clerk at her residence in the evenings or by appointment. If you would like to make an appointment or need further information, call 218-573-2701. The clerk's office (37121 Red Top Road, Ponsford, MN) will be open for filing on August 11, 2020 from 1:00 until 5:00 PM.
2020 amnesty day safety policies
- Please note these special conditions for Amnesty Day due to the COVID-19 pandemic - we want everyone to be safe and stay healthy
- FACE COVERINGS MUST BE WORN
- ONLY ONE VEHICLE AT A TIME MAY UNLOAD INTO THE DUMPSTERS
- PLEASE WAIT YOUR TURN OUTSIDE THE GATE AND REMAIN IN YOUR VEHICLE
- OBSERVE THE SIX-FOOT SOCIAL DISTANCING PRECAUTION
- THE TOWNSHIP WILL TRY TO HAVE SOMEONE PRESENT TO DIRECT ACTIVITIES AND PROVIDE ADVICE, BUT DUE TO THE SOCIAL DISTANCING REQUIREMENT, THAT PERSON CANNOT ASSIST WITH UNLOADING
- AS ALWAYS:
- TVs, computers, tires and mattresses are accepted, please pay attention to labeled dumpsters
- Please place your amnesty materials in the appropriately labeled dumpsters - metal in the metal one; demolition materials in the demolition one; and mixed items (please segregate as indicated on the sign) in the mixed bin.
- Hazardous waste can no longer be deposed of by the Township, homeowners are required to do that. This includes flourescent lights.
2020 Amnesty Dates
- May 23, 2020
- August 29,2020
- TV, Computers, tires and mattress are accepted, please pay attention to labeled
- Hazardous waste can no longer be deposed of by the Township, homeowners
are required to do that. This includes fluorescent lights
- Becker County has gone to single sort of metal and plastic at our site. The container has been labeled to indicate that.
- Paper, glass, and cardboard still have separate containers.
Use of the Township Hall
- Forest Township Supervisors at the 4/14/2020 Meeting passed a Motion to close the use of the Townhall by area groups until the MN Governor lifts the Shelter in Place Order.
- The town hall is available for area groups for meetings.
- To use the Hall please sign up on the Town Hall Schedule Calendar posted on the bulletin Board by the white board in the building. This will prevent overlapping meetings.
- If you need assistance or a key please contact Carol Peterson/Clerk at 573-2701 or any of the Township Supervisors.
DRAFT Dust Control Application Policy
- It is the intent of this policy to define criteria and guidelines for the Township to administer and apply dust control on township and/or private roads. This is being posted to request additional public input.
- DRAFT Policy (click here)
Assumption of Road Maintenance Policy
- It is the intent of this policy to define criteria and guidelines for the Township to assume maintenance responsibility on roads the Township does not presently maintain. This is being posted to allow for additional public review.
- Policy Notice (click here)
2020 Meeting Dates
2020 Polling Place Resolution
- The Township Board has passed a resolution designating the official polling place for the 2020 election year.
- See resolution (click here)
Notes Regarding the "Dump"
- We would ask that if you use the dump to be respectful and use proper procedures i.e. recyclable material in the correct recycle bin, no construction material, don't leave garbage of any type on the ground, and close all of the lids by securing the chain. Use the Osage or Detroit Lakes sites to get rid of appliances, tires, etc.
- Penalty for Non-Compliance of Posted Dump Rules
Township Ditches and Road Easements
- The ditches and road easements in our township are there to provide correct water drainage,
clear view while driving and an area for snow removal from the roadways.
- It has come to our attention that residents use ditches to discard grass clippings, branches, other miscellaneous items and use easements to put private property. By doing this we cannot
correctly maintain our roads while grading, mowing or snow plowing. It also hinders proper
water drainage. Lastly, by putting personal property in the road easement area it creates a
- Residents are asked to discard all waste properly and not in our ditches or easements for personal use.